Erin from Queen of Spain – You’ve Been Spotted! Erin is an award winning journalist, contributing editor, avid blogger and a non-stop On-The-Go Mom. Visit Queen of Spain and tell me what you think!
Erin is definitely an On-the-Go Mom who may be in need of a stay-cation. Below are the step-by-step instructions on how-to make the perfect floral lei.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE A FLORAL LEI:
- 5 stems dendrobium orchids (approx. 35 blooms)
- Monofilament or fishing line
- Large needle
- Cut a piece of fishing line to the length that you want your lei to be, plus 6 inches. Remember the lei should be long enough to fit over the head.
- Thread the needle with the cut fishing line. Tie a knot about 3” from the end of the line.
- Remove all of the dendrobium orchid blooms from the stem. Remove the small piece of stem that is still attached to the flower.
- Insert the needle through the base of the flower and slide the flower down the length of the fishing line stopping at the knot.
- Continue this process, “sitting” each bloom within the one previously put on the line until you are about 3” from the end of the line.
- Tie a double knot with the 2 ends of the fishing line.
Now you have beautiful floral lei perfect for a stay-cation!